• Harry Arora

Was your property damaged by Hurricane Ida floods?

Dear friends and neighbors, Hurricane Ida's remnants hit our state hard last week. We lost CT Trooper Brian Mohl when flash floods swept his vehicle off the road in Woodbury. Hurricane Ida flooded homes and basements across the state. Individuals and organizations need assistance, especially since flood damage may not be covered by insurance. FEMA public assistance programs and individual assistance programs are only available once the President declares a disaster in CT. While a disaster has been declared in both NJ and NY, no such declaration has been made for CT. The process of disaster declaration is twofold. First, the Governor is required to request FEMA for a disaster declaration. After that, FEMA recommends the President make the disaster declaration based on the extent of the damage. At this time, the CT Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) is doing an initial damage assessment to determine if the extent of the damage exceeds the threshold at which the Governor can ask for a disaster declaration. The CT DEMHS has asked all municipalities, nonprofits and state agencies to provide their damage assessment by Sep 16th. Towns are required to include the private property damage information in their submission. HERE is CT DEMHS website with details about the assessment process. If you are a nonprofit which has suffered damage, please upload your damage information to CT DEMHS by clicking HERE. Individuals/private businesses who have suffered damage to their property should send their damage information to their respective towns. Greenwich residents can do so by clicking HERE, Stamford residents by clicking HERE. If you have pictures or information about infrastructure or other property damage, feel free to email them to me, so I can also advocate the administration for expeditious assistance.

Sincerely, Harry Arora Ranking member - Labor and Public Employees committee

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All